Sunday, April 15, 2012

style

I have a confession to make.  For all the emphasis I've placed on reducing, reusing, recycling, and trying to lessen our consumption foot print, I fail miserably when it comes to clothes.  Especially kids clothes.

I've tried thrifting always frustrated by thin areas turned holes, stains unseen at the store, and mismatched items.  My strategy has turned sale seeking, coupon collecting, and maximizing our budget.  This is just simply where I am with clothes.  Sigh.

The best news is that clothing stores are hard to come by where we live.  Each shop requires a 35 minute drive, sometimes over the state border, making it easy to stay away until the seasons change or the pants are too short.  Shopping is never running out to pick something up or price watching, or browsing the shelves until you find the deal.  

With coupons and sale catalogs in arm, we went shopping this weekend.  Despite the usual pit in stomach feeling I get at the end of our shopping trips, I discovered something rather fun on this particular trip.

Three little beings who have developed their OWN well defined sense of style!

So, we had to show off their fashion sense.  Tired and frustrated from the trip and piles of clothes to clip tags, remove stickers and prepare for the wash, they decided to model a few items.  Rather than resist idea, which we knew would only slow things down and cut into our evening, we went with it.  Complete with music, camera, and an MC (Mr.Man, of course...)

Pie
Pie likes bright colors and dresses.  She will only wear leggings (no sweaty pants) and has an aversion to scratchy fabrics, warm layers, and anything she doesn't like.  She's vocal about her taste, flat out REFUSING to wear anything for which she is not in the mood.  Which means there is often little variety and repeat performers.  Many, many repeat performers...




Peace
Well, peace signs are her favorite, and obnoxiously bright colors, and splashy, glitzy accessories.  Oh. my.  I remember these styles from high school and I remember not liking them then.  Her favorite phrase as we shop together . . . "It's cute, but I wouldn't wear it."  

We have very different taste and are on good terms about our differences.  It took a good while and many purchased, yet unworn items to get her to understand honesty.   Remember, we call her peaceful for a reason, her desire to keep peace and avoid hurting feelings.  She's done a beautiful job realizing that honesty creates less hurt feelings in the long run.  I'm quite thankful for this!








Mr. Man
Oh. my.  He is hysterical.  He has no sense matching, pairing, dress down, dress up.  He calls button down shirts jackets.  He thinks you buy layers as a complete package.  And he believes any shade of red pairs with all other shades of red (think burgundy with primary red!).  With a little help in the matching department and a little explanation of how layering works, he is ALL FUN!

Dancing, snapping his neck, flipping his hat, adding the red vest, he is fully engaged in his wardrobe.  Accessories bring out the best in him.  The complete ensemble turns on his wit and charisma.  So much fun to see this young man so full of love and life.




 


I love watching them grow, but the emergence of their sense of style was such a wonderful surprise.  There is comfort in knowing they know themselves well.  There is joy in knowing they can articulate this.  There is peace in knowing I can let go and let them be! 

Now, if they could only show Papa Bear about style!  Ahem

4 comments:

  1. Oh how I love this! Isn't it amazing how little ones have their own sense of style? That window of dressing them how YOU want to is so short. Pie's posing for the camera is hilarious! Isn't it funny how the 80s style is back? My daughter loves bling - sequins in pink, lots of color. So different from my Lands End, tailored style! Mr. Man's yellow hat - how fun! I think you did a great job with your shopping excursion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, don't Black and Blue go together? -- Papa Bear

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one smart Mama...first, letting them pick out their own things and then going with the flow for the impromptu fashion show!! What fun pictures -- what fun kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable photos!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Please share your encouragement and positive thoughts about my posts. I do appreciate your encouragement and support through my journey.

Peace be with you.